Packing my bags this afternoon, getting ready for the double long haul flight to Mysore, India. Here’s a glimpse into some of the contents of my little suitcase.
1. Documentation! I have a copy of my email confirmation of acceptance for study at the yoga shala, copies of my passport for the shala, landlords etc, an extra passport photo also for the shala, and of course my passport complete with hard-won Indian visa (more on that later).
3. Headlamp from Sandra – this was a birthday gift, she told me it will come in handy during random power outages in India. And its cute and blue too!
4. Yoga clothes
5. iPad for in airport movie watching, blogging abroad, and skype-ing with husband/family/friends/cat.
6. Contact solution & case – little bottles, airplane size
7. Bug Spray – for pesky mosquitos
8. Afterbite – for after mosquitos
9. Earplugs – I picked up Karen from the airport last night. She had just arrived from India and as we were crossing over Mass Ave where it passes over I-90 full of traffic she turned and said to me, “Its so quiet here!” Yes, I believe the earplugs will come in handy.
10. Sunblock. SPF 60. I’m so pale I should probably stay that way.
11. Burts Bees Lip Balm
12. Travel Packs of Kleenex – emergency toilet paper!
13. Travel Adapters – UK style
14. My unlocked sim-card ready mobile phone, so I can have a local number
16. Teeth cleaning accessories
17. Travel alarm clock for early morning yoga practice, set 15 minutes ahead (shala time)
19. Prescription Malaria-preventing medication – this is my second try at this, the first medication they gave me actually made me feel like I had malaria (shakes, fever, insomnia, weird dreams). It was a rough week.
20. An over-the-counter anti-diarrheal, plus an Rx if its real bad.
21. Hand Sanitizer, which will hopefully make #20 less necessary.
There are other things to pack but this is what I have amassed so far. I do intend to come back with more little treasures from India, and buy some clothes while there so I can at least take a stab and being a local. I found Ashtangi Claudia’s Guide to Mysore, India very helpful in determining what to pack and what to leave at home.
We are in touch with a wonderful Texan named Kitty who is in Mysore now. She sent us this photo of the place where we’ll be staying. Its the mustard yellow one.
The plan is to fly from Boston to Paris, then onward on the 12 hour flight to Bangalore where Krishna will then drive us the 3 and a half hours from Bangalore to Mysore. And then we will walk up these stairs and fall into our little beds and that will only be the beginning.
Back to packing.